Cheek augmentation is a form of cosmetic surgery using implants to gain better facial harmony.
Some people over time come to realize that their cheeks are not as firm as before, some others don’t have Symmetrical cheeks and some people wish to have fuller cheeks. This facial feature can play an important role in beauty and attraction in the face and one’s overall appearance.
Cheek Augmentation Surgery: Different options
This plastic surgery can be done in three techniques: facial implant surgery, soft-tissue facial fillers, and facial fat grafting.
- Facial implants: the cosmetic surgeon uses silicone to make the cheeks firmer.
- Soft tissue facial fillers (non-surgical option): collagen and Restylane (which are more temporary) are used.
- Fat grafting: in this method, if there will be enough fat in the body it can be used as the primary fillers for the cheeks
Clearly, depending on the technique that the plastic surgeon and the patient decide on the consultation session, the procedure differs. During the consultation session, the cosmetic surgeon regarding the person’s face and skin type would suggest the best possible technique.
Cheek augmentation surgery using implants is conducted with an incision inside the upper lip or in the lower eyelid.
Some filler material is injected into the cheeks and under the skin. This method usually costs less and needs a shorter time to be done, but the downside is that fillers are temporary and need to be reinjected after a few years.
In this method, fat is taken from the patient's body (usually abdomen or thigh, or flank) and then will be injected on the cheeks by using a tube.
There are some problems with this method:
· That part of the body that fat is taken from needs to get healed properly,
· In some people, there isn't enough fat for this technique,
· The surgeon cannot form or reshape the fat very much,
· Sometimes body reabsorb the fat and can't be predicted how much of it will remain
· In some cases, maybe more than one session is required
There might be a feeling of tightness and swelling for several days on the cheeks. The doctor may recommend some medicine. The patient with some care, can resume daily activities and work after one or two days after this cosmetic surgery.