The gastric plication technique is a method to fight obesity. In gastric plication intervention, the size of the stomach is reduced and therefore the patient would have fewer intakes in the future. This technique is currently very widely used, simple, with promising results. We should keep in mind that obesity may be for some an aesthetic issue but a health issue as well.
How does the gastric plication technique work?
The size of the stomach is reduced using during endoscopy of the stomach under general anesthesia. (In other words, this is an outpatient surgery performed endoscopically). The surgeon makes 5 to 6 small 0.5 cm incisions in the patient's abdomen to access their stomach. These incisions with the help of a few threads make a fold or a kind of closed reservoir in the most curved area of the stomach to reduce the volume of the stomach by up to 80% (and eventually reducing the patient’s weight up to 20 %). Combined with a healthy and balanced diet, this technique helps the patient to lose weight and is therefore effective in the treatment of overweight and obesity.
The Benefits of Gastric Plication
- Gastric plication is a less invasive intervention than sleeve and bypass and its operation is shorter. Gastric plication procedure normally lasts from half an hour to two hours depending on each patient’s physiology.
- There will be a few small incisions and therefore the scars are barely visible
- The operation requires a 3-day clinic stay.
- It’s highly effective for people with severe obesity
- Gastric plication can be reversed: meaning if the patient encounters a problem or simply does not want it anymore, the process will be reversed.
After a gastric plication, intervention normally there would be no need for hospitalization. However, your surgeon may recommend a 24-hour stay in the clinic/hospital. The patient generally can resume daily activities after a week. It is recommended to have a healthy diet postoperatively and avoid carrying heavy loads for up to three months.