What Is Femto LASIK?
Nowadays, to eliminate the everyday use of eyeglasses and treat farsighted, nearsighted, or astigmatism vision, various medical techniques such as PRK (photorefractive keratectomy) or Femto LASIK are developed. Medical examinations imaging results should determine the best treatment method and tests the patient’s ophthalmologist runs. However, the eye Femto-LASIK technique is the latest advancement in laser eye surgeries to correct refractive errors and eliminate the use of eyeglasses. This method is the least invasive way to treat nearsightedness and astigmatism. The surgeon utilizes Femto laser technology in this procedure to correct refractive errors of the vision.
Nowadays, LASIK eye surgery replaced by Femto LASIK is considered one of the most popular and common treatments for people suffering from myopia, hyperopia, or astigmatism vision. This form of treatment is permanent relief from wearing eyeglasses. Femto LASIK is a procedure with minimal downtime. It is considered one of the fastest and most convenient laser surgeries to correct refractive errors around the globe. During the Femto LASIK procedure, a Femto laser -the fastest ophthalmological laser worldwide, is used to create a small incision inside the intact cornea. After that, the surgeon guides the patient to look at the flashing light above his head. While doing that, an excimer laser is used on the cornea. This procedure happens with the use of two very advanced technologies- namely the excimer laser and the Femto laser- and concurrent with the most prominent ophthalmology centers in the world is operated in Noor ophthalmology Hospital by the most experienced ophthalmologist in the country, so you too can experience life without glasses.
Who Are Suitable Femto LASIK Candidates?
Although only your ophthalmologist can suggest and determine the best kind of treatment for you, as general criteria, for undergoing Femto LASIK in Iran, you should meet the following requirements:
- You must be over 18 years old
- You should have a stable glasses/ contacts prescription for at least 12 months; otherwise, your vision might regress after performing Femto LASIK.
- You need to have overall good eye health
You might not be a suitable candidate for Femto LASIK if you meet the following criteria:
- You are a pregnant or a nursing woman, as the hormonal imbalances and changes may lead to changes in your glasses/contacts prescription
- You have a thin cornea, as patients with particularly thin corneas are at the risk of blindness upon Femto LASIK and LASIK surgeries.
- You are diagnosed with untreated diabetes, as this condition may cause hormonal fluctuations that may lead to changes in glasses/contacts prescription
- You have had previous surgeries to correct refractive errors
- You have recurrent scarring, slow wound healing, and a weakened immune system
- You have eye conditions such as severe dry eyes (as performing Femto LASIK can worsen this situation), blepharitis, glaucoma, ocular hypertension, or herpes simplex.
How Is Femto LASIK Performed?
Before the Surgery
It would be best if you visited your ophthalmologist in a series of appointments before the surgery so he can examine and recheck your measurements. During these sessions, he will walk you through the whole procedure and answer your questions regarding the pre-surgery and its aftercare. In these appointments, your doctor will perform a pre-treatment examination such as a WaveScan or a Wavefront analysis to get a precise and detailed map of your refractive errors and create a “fingerprint” of your eye. These detailed maps will be uploaded to the computer that operates the laser, which is performing the surgery at a later stage and would prevent any mistakes during the operation, such as performing the procedure on the wrong sites of the eyes.
Your doctor will also guide you to do the following before the day the procedure will be performed:
- You will need to wash your eyes and eyelids the night of the operation
- You should avoid wearing make-up and contact lenses 48 hours prior to surgery, and any cologne/perfume on the day of the surgery
- It is better to wear comfortable and light clothing on the procedure day
- You can take sedatives before the surgery if you are anxious, but first, consult with your ophthalmologist
Keep in mind to inform your ophthalmologist of your detailed medical history to minimize any complications.
During the Procedure
The whole process is outpatient and would take approximately 25 minutes. Your surgeon will use numbing eye drops so you will not feel any pain. With the help of the detailed map created of your vision before the operation, the ophthalmologist will set the femtosecond laser. Then an eyelid holder called an eye speculum will be placed over your eye to keep it from blinking. After that, your surgeon will use the femtosecond laser to create a flap on the surface of your cornea. The flap will be pushed aside, and the ophthalmologist will use an excimer laser to correct the refractive errors. The flap is replaced after the cornea is reshaped and contoured with the excimer laser. The replaced flap does not need any sutures to heal.
Femto LASIK Recovery and Aftercare
As mentioned before, the Femto LASIK is an outpatient procedure, and you will be able to go home after the operation. Please be sure that a friend or a family member accompanies you and drives you home. Depending on your condition, your ophthalmologist might advise you to follow a specific treatment plan. But generally, your doctor would recommend that you do the following:
- Should not rub your eyes after the treatment
- He might prescribe anti-biotitic eye drops to use the week after the operation, and over- the-counter pain relief drops for possible discomforts
- It is advised to wear sunglasses the week after the procedure to protect your eyes from harmful sun rays
- Plan your follow-up examination appointments. It is advised to plan them for the first day after the procedure, after one week, and after one month.
Why Should You Perform Femto LASIK in Iran?
As the eyes are one of the most delicate and essential parts of your body, it is significantly vital to take care of them under the supervision of highly skilled and competent ophthalmologists and surgeons, in trustworthy and distinguished ophthalmology hospitals and clinics. Considering these elements, taking decent care of your eyes can be a costly and overpriced act. By choosing Iran as the destination for your eye treatment and by performing Femto LASIK in Iran, you can be assured to undergo eye procedures under the administration of highly proficient surgeons, ophthalmologists who use the most advanced ocular technologies, and gears, in reputable hospitals; all in a cost-efficient manner.